At present I am on a music tour with 62 Inaburra students, 11 staff and 22 supporters. We are in the US for about two weeks, combining musical performances, workshops, sightseeing and .... whatever comes.
A blow by blow description of our activities can be found on Twitter @Inaburra or at www.inaburrabandtour.wordpress.com.
A couple of observations so far, which may or may not emerge from any experiences that may or may not have happened in the last couple of days ...
- When supervising young people, a culture of trust and mutual respect is infinitely preferable to hyper-vigilant scrutiny
- It is not difficult to recognise foreigners (including Aussies), even when they aren't travelling in a group of nearly 100 and wearing matching shirts.
- Not every form of food is improved with a squirt of cheese sauce.
- The Australian public health system has a lot going for it
- There are lots of very friendly people everywhere - and an Australian accent is a great ice-breaker.
Off we go ...